Social media has really received all the attention from marketers for some time now, and rightly so. But video actually trumps social media in a number of important ways:
- First, more internet users watch online videos – 62 percent –than use social media networking sites – 46 percent according to research by the Pew Internet and American Life Project.
- Also, YouTube is the second biggest search engine after Google. That tells you how most people prefer to receive information – through a visual story. And online video is much more likely to be discovered via search engines than social media posts.
- Video provides more analytical data on who is watching and how long. Social media sites provide very little data on who is reading posts and how long they are engaged.
- Video is a passive, visceral experience, so people are more likely to view ads or be motivated to do something. When they are engaged in social media, they are immersed in social dialogue so advertising is an interruption.
- And finally, with video, you can more easily control your message.